Thursday, May 7, 2009

Crochet....not just your grandma's hobby.

I love to crochet. It is a stress reliever for me. I have a VERY stressful job, not so much physically as mentally. I am a Middle/High school principal. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE my job and the kids I work with. They keep me on my toes and I am always trying to keep one step ahead of them. It is a stressful job, though.

Most nights when I go home and after I have properly adored raven, I crochet. I like to make things for other people, so most of what I work on are baby gifts for friends who are expecting or other things that people have requested. I always have people telling me that I should sell my things. Maybe one day I will, but right now I just do it for fun.

Here are a couple of the things I have finished recently:


The top picture is a dress for a toddler. You can't see it well, but there is a pale yellow ribbon that runs around the dress between the white and yellow parts. The second picture is a black beaded shawl. Sorry about the quality of pictures, I am a crocheter, not a photographer. :)

I have an obsession with yarn. I buy more than I really need but I can't help it. I know that there must be some sort of recovery group for that somewhere. When I buy new yarn I justify the purchase by telling myself that it could be worse, I could be using the money for drugs or something like that. It's just yarn, it doesn't even take up much space, right? And it's sooooo pretty!

Consequently, I have five (yes five) storage containers full of yarn. And that's not all! I also have more stash in other places. All waiting to be used on that "special" project that I will someday find.

I would love to be able to knit. I am jealous of those who can. My problem is that I don't have the patience to knit. It moves to slow for me. Once I get the hang of a crochet pattern, I don't really have to pay attention to what I am doing and it moves quickly. I have tried to knit and I just don't see the results fast enough. I wish I could knit though because I would L-O-V-E to have hand-knitted socks. I see all these books and all this fabulous yarn and think to myself "If only you could knit then you too could have those gorgeous hand-knitted socks." Crocheted socks aren't the same. That is one thing that knitting has over crochet.

For now, I will continue to crochet. I am not a doily maker, nor to I make toilet-tissue covers. Crocheting isn't just your granny's hobby anymore. ;)

Finally--here is your raven picture for the day--mainly because I love to look at her. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment