Friday, May 8, 2009

Time flies

Sunday is Mother's Day. I miss my mom.

My mom and I had a rough patch when I was a teenager (wait--doesn't every mother and daughter??). I think it was mostly because we were so much alike. Once I got to be in about 10th grade or so, though, things changed and we were very close. I remember when I went away to college. I had never really been away from home for that long of a time and I missed my mom like crazy. Even after I moved 2,000 miles away from home to begin my career, it was always my mom that I wanted when something happened.

My mom was always the first to tell me how proud she was of me when I accomplished something. She always believed in me even when I didn't believe in myself. She supported me even when she knew in her heart that I probably wasn't making the right choice and she was there to comfort me when I realized that I hadn't made the right choice.

My mom passed away three and a half years ago. Whoever said that time heals all is a big, fat liar. I miss my mom as much today as I did the day she died. I still want to call her when I get good news. I want to call her when I get bad news. I want to call her when I am happy. I want to call her when I am sad. I can't, though, and I hate that.

I believe that I will see her again. I know all the "right" things to say and I know all the "right" answers when it comes to this. That knowledge doesn't make Mother's Day any less painful.

If you still have your mom, call her. Tell her you love her. Even if you are angry with her for something. Even if you haven't talked to her in days, weeks, months, or even years. Don't let another day go by without telling her how much she means to you. I would give anything to just be able to tell my mom one more time how much I love her and to hear her tell me the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment