Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Remind me again...

why I love my job? I think I forgot.

Parent: May I speak with you for a minute?
Me (out loud): Of course
My brain: A minute? You? Not likely.

Parent: blah, blah blah, my child is perfect, blah, blah, blah, the teacher needs to read the handbook, blah, blah, blah, my child is getting picked on.....
Me (out loud): Uh-huh. Really? Hmmmm. Ok. No.
My brain: I wonder what I will have for dinner. I can't wait to go home and see miss raven.

Parent: I just wanted to let you know. You know, so you can talk to the teacher.
Me (out loud): Thank you so much. I will look in to this and get back with you.
My brain: sigh

That was the nice version. It actually wasn't a hostile conversation because this parent has learned not to do that with me. It isn't wise. I'm not sure, though, why this parents thinks that I am going to side with the child over the teacher. Um. Yeah. Pretty much not going to happen. At least not with that teacher. Well, not with any teacher. I don't do that to my teachers. Had it done to me too many times when I was a teacher. I WILL NOT EVER throw my teachers under the bus. EVER.

Yesterday I came out of our mailroom. My counterpart (the kinder-5th grade principal) was just concluding a new student interview with a kid who will be going into K5. I smile at her and then stopped dead in my tracks. The kid stuck her tongue out at me. REALLY? I didn't know whether to laugh or stick my tongue out back. I figured the latter would be a wee bit childish, even though part of me REALLY wanted to, so I just kind of gave her the Principal Look of Death and walked away. But on the inside I was sticking my tongue out at her. I'll admit to that.

Today I read to my K5 class (well, they aren't mine in the sense that I am their teacher--God forbid! Just mine because I read to them once a week.). I am reading E.B. White's The Trumpet of the Swan. So far they seem to like it. I read Charlotte's Web to them before Christmas. No matter how hard I try I always cry at the end of that book. I cry because a SPIDER dies. I was meant to be a teacher. Anyway--I could not teach those kids all day as I think I would kill myself, but I do enjoy reading to them. And I also enjoy all the questions they ask me afterwards. And all the things they *have* to tell me. I hear the funniest things from them. Today I got to hear when everyone's birthday is and of course I am now invited to everyone's birthday parties. LOL!

Speaking of birthdays....because I was....today is my dad's birthday! Happy Birthday Dad!!!!! :)
March is a great month for birthdays! My BFF's birthday is also in March and is one of the reasons she is coming to see me in just SEVEN more days!!!!!!!! I can't wait! :)

And now I will say goodnight because PTI is on and I want to hear Michael Wilbon talk about Michael Vick. Ok, maybe not, but I do want to watch PTI. I like sports like that. :)

1 comment:

  1. Potential K-5 sticking her tongue out at you and the principal look of death...sorry that I missed it! That would have been sooo funny to see. Whoo Hoo!!! 7 more days!!!!!

    ReplyDelete