Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I think today should have been Monday....

My Monday wasn't bad. I think it forgot it was supposed to be "Monday." Either that, or Tuesday bullied Monday into letting it be "Monday."

The morning wasn't too bad. We had a special assembly this morning for Black History Month. Other than going WAY over the time limit and pretty much taking all of first period, it was fine. Oh, and hearing the kids sing a Michael Jackson son with a great deal more enthusiasm than a praise and worship song didn't thrill me, either. The teachers weren't too happy about losing first period. Sigh.

Anyway. My day was progressing rather nicely until middle school lunch. I hear a knock at my door and a teacher comes in carrying a cell phone. No biggie. I take the phone, the parent has to come get it. That is pretty routine. Then (buh, buh, bummmmm) she hands me a note that she intercepted during her class. Remember the days of writing notes in class:

Do you like me? Check yes_____ or no______

If only the note today had been that simple. I won't get into details because I don't have that kind of blog, but suffice it to say it was pretty nasty. I had to call the parents and DESCRIBE the note. Oh yeah, that was fun.

Next on my list of notsomuchfunthingsthathappenedtoday.....a 6th grader told another 6th grader that she wanted to shank him. Yes, you read that correctly. And no, I do not work in a prison. Would you like to know her reason? She thought he pushed her on purpose. Turns out, it was most likely an accident, she just got mad. Then I find out, much later, that she has been bullying other kids in the class. Guess what I get to do tomorrow?

And finally, because things like this seem to happen in three's, at dismissal time I had one of my high school teachers call and tell me he caught two kids kissing. WHY?!?! The rule at my school is no PDA. You don't have to like it, you can have different views. It is our school and we have our rules. So, I ask who the kids were. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! It is one of my best seniors and one of my best juniors. WHY?!?! The girl and her mother come to my office first. She comes in kind of "aw, shucks" like and is laughing about it. Then I have to drop the hammer. She is suspended. She cries, I try not to cry. She thinks it sucks. Guess what? Me, too. She is convinced that her boyfriend's parents will hate her. They won't. She thinks this sucks. Me, too. Call the boy in. Talk to him. He is stoic, but trying not to cry, I think. I am barely keeping it together at this point. Call the boy's mom. She understands, supports me, agrees. I hang up and burst into tears. Today, my job sucks.

I have to be fair and consistent though, no matter how tough it is and with those two, it was tough! I found myself wishing that the teacher hadn't seen what he saw or that he was mistaken. He wasn't and I trust him. He has no reason to lie. I just suspended two other kids a month or so ago for the same thing so how can I not this time? No matter how much I like these kids, and I REALLY do, what would it say about me if I just swept it under the rug? How could I face the other two students, let alone their parents if I let this one go? What kind of impression would it give the rest of the high school? If nothing else, I want them to know that I am fair and consistent and the rules apply to everyone, no matter how much history I may have with that particular student.

Did I mention my job sucks today? At least I didn't have a parent hang up on me today, right?

1 comment:

  1. Oh WOW! Sorry that your day turned out to be such a stinker! Hopefully today it will be better!!!! :)

    15 days!

    ReplyDelete