Thursday, April 25, 2013

Squeamish...

For a while when I was little, I wanted to be a nurse.  My mom was a nurse and she LOVED her profession.  I think all little girls want to be like their mothers at one point and I was no exception.

And then...

I saw...

blood.

And somehow "nurse" changed to "teacher".

I can't STAND the sight of blood.  It makes me queasy and squeamish.  I don't like to see cuts and boo-boos, I don't like to watch blood being drawn.  I don't like watching medical dramas and on any "crime" shows, whenever someone is about to be killed, I turn the channel momentarily so I don't have to see it.  I don't EVER do horror movies or slasher flicks.

Imagine my horror, then, when today at recess, a student noticed an "animal" by my feet.  At first I thought she was just exaggerating the size of a bug and since most bugs don't scare me, I ask her what kind of bug it was.  She told me, emphatically, that it WASN'T a bug.  It looked like a, a, a hamster.

I looked down.

I almost puked.

It was some type of rodent-like critter.  It wasn't a mouse because I know what mice look like.  I had them in my house, remember?  It was a little fat, no longer than the length of my hand (a little smaller, probably), and appeared to be (have been) a baby as it's eyes were still closed.  The worst part?  It had apparently suffered some sort of injury as HALF OF ITS FREAKING INSIDES WERE HANGING OUT!!!!!

Sweet mother!

I shooed the girls away and, after getting a long stick, decided to try to gently move it into the grass as it was laying in the dirt.  I was pretty sure it was dead because, you know, HALF OF ITS FREAKING INSIDES WERE HANGING OUT!!!!.  Much to my dismay, when I nudged it with the stick, IT MOVED!!!!!  The little thing was still alive.  I felt so, so bad for it.  I just wanted it to die so that it wasn't suffering anymore. (There was no way the thing could be saved.)  It kept twitching and squirming in pain and there was nothing I could do.  I kept checking on it (mostly to make sure it didn't flop out onto the grass again) and by the time we went inside I was pretty sure that it had passed.  At least, I hope so.

A nurse I am not.

Ugh.

1 comment: