Friday, June 22, 2012

Why I do what I do...

Yesterday afternoon I had lunch with one of my former students.  She went to my school through 8th grade and then left to attend a public high school.  I knew she would do well no matter where she went and, after talking with her yesterday, I knew I had been correct.

She graduated earlier this month and will be going to college out of state in the fall.  She is excited and scared and nervous and everything else a first time college student is.  I remember feeling that way the summer before I was getting ready to leave for school in Florida.

Lunch was nice and it was so nice to be able to catch up with her.  She gave me a card with a couple of her senior pictures.  I read the card while I was there and it was very hard to hold back the tears.  I waited until I came home and then bawled like a baby.  Here is what she said:

It feels like just yesterday I was sitting in your History Class 8th grade year hoping to score high on my test to earn some type of tasty treat!!  It didn't matter if it was a brownie or a cookie, I just knew it would be delicious.  Now I'm graduating high school and moving on to college.  When I left CCS, I didn't like Wise at all.  I missed every part of CCS, especially YOU!!  At CCS you were there as a teacher, counselor, principal, and most of all a mother figure.  After I left you were still there to listen and keep me in your prayers.  Though you might not have known, I always noticed you were humble, caring, constantly going above and beyond what was asked of you, and always keeping God first.  Your kindness inspired me to be like you!  Your test messages telling me you knew I would do well and reminding me I was in your prayers were the best encouragements and motivations that pushed me to do so much during high school.  Your FaceBook and text messages always came at the times when I needed it the most.  All I can do is say thank you to God for blessing me with an amazing teacher in my life who instilled more in me than any other!  Along with thanking God, I want to say thanks to you for everything you have done.  For all the lessons (both history and life lessons), for all the encouragement (to do everything I put my mind to and forget what others think), and for all the messages to remind me you still cared.  That's more than I ever expected!
I love you more than just a teacher, more than just a principal, more than just a counselor, I love you like a mother!!  You will always be the greatest teacher ever!!  Thank You Again!  :)
 And that is why I do what I do.

:)
 

2 comments:

  1. HOW WONDERFUL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What an awesome letter! You are an AWESOME teacher, and a GREAT friend! I feel blessed to know you! Good job gf ;) She sounds like a wonderful girl who has a bright future ahead of her. I wish her well.

    ReplyDelete