Tuesday, August 4, 2009

New beginnings?

It's August already and I have been resisting blogging about August for a few reasons. Primarily because I don't want to seem like a whiner, but also because, while I do enjoy blogging--it is very cathartic for me--I am an intensely private person. I know that may be hard to believe, because of some of the things that I write here, but I don't put it all out there. As a matter of fact, there is something that I really want to blog about, but just can't seem to do it right now because, well, just because.

I have a love/hate relationship with August. I hate it because it means that summer is almost over and with it, my vacation from the stress of my job. I love it because it means that it is almost football season. I hate it because it means that winter is coming and I hate (LOATHE) all things winter. I love it because it kind of signifies a new beginning, new possibilities, with the coming of a new school year. I hate it because, well that's another post.

August has started out well so far. I was able to spend a little over a week with my dad, I was able to help celebrate the 60th birthday of my cousin's husband, and I have been able to spend some time with some pretty special people over the last few weeks, including a fabulous dinner tonight: fresh tomato and mozzarella salad, homemade lasagna & cheesy garlic bread, homemade brownies (from scratch) with homemade chocolate buttercream frosting, and wonderful company. :)

miss raven has had a nice beginning to august, also. She was able to spend time with gracie, her cousin, and has generally continued to lead the life of a very well-loved, sweet, puppy. :)

One of the best things about my recent vacation was the fact that I had the chance to reconnect with one of my relatives. My mom's youngest sister was always my favorite aunt. When I was growing up I always thought she was way cool and I wanted to be like her. I loved when she would come to visit because she always had time for my brother and I. She never treated us like we were in the way, which only made me think she was even cooler.

Anyway--things happen, miscommunication occurs (especially in my family!) and somehow we drifted apart. I missed her a lot but my feelings had been hurt and for a while, I was unwilling to let that go. I came to the conclusion, though, that I really had two choices. I could either hang on to the bitterness and hurt feelings and let it turn me into someone bitter and hard, or Icould just forgive and let it go. I also realized that there are two sides to every story and for things like this to happen there is fault on both sides. I was hurt but she was hurt, too.

I was so glad that we were able to sit down a few weeks ago for lunch and just talked. I knew I missed her, but I hadn't realized until just then how much I had missed her. She is still as cool as I remember her being and it was great to be able to catch up with her. I'm looking forward to moving forward. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment